75% of a large survey said, “Cutting clutter at home would help 2011 be their best year ever.” Stress levels are high in the home when you can’t find the water bill, the junk drawer has grown so much that you add a second, the table is used for everything but family dinners, etc. In this day and age we need all the help we can get. Here are 10 tips and ideas to help lighten the atmosphere.
1. Make your bed as soon as you get out of it. It only takes a minute, and immediately you will feel calm and more collected. A made bed immediately boosts the look of a bedroom, no matter what clutter surrounds. It also feels more relaxing to get into a made bed compared to a bed that is still rumpled from the night before. There’s more tips on keeping the bedroom clear and less cluttered at the link provided below.
2. Instead of the closet floor being the home for your shoes, try an over-the-door shoe organiser. Shoes on the floor immediately seem chaotic and harder to find. When using organising items such as an over-the-door organiser it will immediately add space and less stress to your closet.
3. A load of laundry a day keeps chaos away. Laundry days are a thing of the past if you keep on top of it throughout the week. One load a day cleaned, folded, and put away seems less stressful than a dreaded day of the week to get caught up. Though a stylish laundry basket hides up many sins. This one looks beautiful too. You could also learn about looking after your linens here.
4. Choose one room and stick with it until it’s done. Jumping from room to room will only make your cleaning task longer than it should be. Choose a room to start with and clean it until it’s done before moving on to the next one. It will cut your cleaning time in half.
5. Baskets can be used for anything. Depending on the size, they are perfect for small toys, blankets, hats and gloves, and anything else you can imagine. They also give the living space a nice touch compared to plastic buckets and bins.
6. Keep all mail in one designated area. Finding something as simple as a napkin holder will keep your mail in one spot so it’s easier to find when it comes time to pay the bills. Also, throw junk mail away immediately. Clip the coupons you need and throw the rest away.
7. Clean the basics of the kitchen first thing. Taking a few minutes in the morning to wash the dishes and clean the clutter off the counters will make the whole house feel less cluttered. Making the kitchen your top priority will make everything else seem not as tedious and difficult and you feel more accomplished. Make sure to take a look at my article on saving money on cleaning and maintenance.
8. Stack books vertically instead of horizontally. Bookcases are not only used for books but for little knick-knacks as well. To prevent clutter on the shelves, try stacking your books on their side so you can place little knick-knacks on top of small stacks for a nice touch without it seeming cluttered.
9. Designate a donation day. Pick a day once a month and skim through each room in the house and get rid of things you do not use anymore. If you buy new items make sure to donate the same amount to prevent excess clutter. Immediately take your box to your local thrift store for a donation.
10. Organise small items in glass or clear containers and jars. Q-Tips, cotton balls, or even bars of soap are easier to find plus you know when you’re running low on a certain item. It also leaves more room under the sink or in medicine cabinets for more personal items.
Following these 10 easy tips will get you well on your way to a more organised, and happy, home. After following these few tips organisation will seem easier to handle and you will find your household more calm and put together.